Immigration and visas
The Australian Embassy in Abuja cannot issue visas.
The Immigration Section of the Australian High Commission in Pretoria has responsibility for visas, migration and citizenship for Nigeria and other countries in Southern and Western Africa.
For general information about Australian visas and citizenship please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website.
If you have already lodged your application please do not call or email the Australian High Commission to check on the status of your application. Instead, you can contact Australia's Department of Home Affairs using its Immigration Enquiry Form. You will not receive a response if seeking to follow-up on an application that is currently within global visa and citizenship processing times.
Australian Biometric Collection Centre, Nigeria
Visa applicants in Nigeria will be sent a letter requiring them to attend an Australian Biometric Collection Centre (ABCC) in person to provide their biometrics.
The Lagos (Ikeja) and Abuja ABCC will serve two primary functions:
- Collection of biometrics (photograph and fingerprints) from Australian visa applicants requested in writing to provide them; and
- Information services for pre-lodgement enquiries through the VFS Global call centre on +234 (0) 81 5018 0009, operating hours are between 08:00 to 15:00, Monday to Friday. The call centre is closed on Nigerian Public Holidays.
You are required to book an appointment to provide biometrics which can be done through the VFS Global website. Walk-in appointments will not be accepted.
Please note: the contracted provider of Biometric Collection Centres in Nigeria changed from TLS to VFS Global in May 2019.
Applicants are advised that it is their responsibility to ensure that all appointments for biometric collection are made using the correct provider.
Other useful links
- Australia.gov.au is a gateway to information about issues such as citizenship, settlement help for migrants, and working conditions in Australia.
- The Australian Department of Home Affairs manages the security and integrity of the Australian border and assists people and cargo to move in and out of the country. Check the information for international travellers to find out what items must be declared for inspection, and for other important customs and quarantine information.
- Plan your trip to Australia with australia.com, the official Tourism Australia website.